January 1, 2009

Free Meter & 60 Strips Offer from Accu-Chek



Accu-chek is offering a free Aviva meter with 60 strips and the really nice Multi-click lancet device at this page:

https://www.accu-chek.com/promo/us/avivaSkinsPromo.htm


I don't know how long the offer will be around, so if you are interested, you probably should go for it now.

If you have been wondering about whether you are diabetic, this is a great way to find out. I had an Aviva when the meter was brand new and it was not a good experience, but that was several years ago, and I took up the offer myself to check out how good the meter is now.

So far it is testing very close to my two Ultra 2s, which was not the case with the first Aviva I owned.

The company is making a big deal about offering "skins" for the meter. Obviously no one asked people with diabetes what they'd like to see improved with the meters. Like, say, accuracy. Or not failing if you test too quickly after turning the meter on. Or the ever escalating cost of strips.

Oh, well. I now have cheerful flowers on the front my new meter to console me for the ever rising price I pay for the testing that keeps me on track, even with great insurance (which is also ever-rising in price).

The Multi-click lancet is my favorite. It is much less painful than any other I have ever used. I find I can use one lancet needle for several months without any need to change it, so the pack of lancet drums I bought for my earlier device three years ago is likely to last me for the rest of my life. Don't twist the bottom of the lancet device or it will advance to a new lancet and you will not be able to reuse the old one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took the liberty of linking to your post here from the Trackyourplaque member forums. Blood sugar issues are finally being recognized as being related to CVD, so there is interest.

If you wait until your doctor tells you that you have BG problems, you probably will be well on your way to being full-blown diabetic. Better to be pro-active and find out early when there is still time to prevent damage.

A lot of folks only find out they have BG problems when their fasting labs come back abnormal, yet it is the post-prandial numbers which worsen first, and you would never know if you didn't test your own BG.

Thanks for finding this.

Jenny said...

Rich,

I have summarized the research that supports the point you are making on this page:

A1c and Post Meal Blood Sugar Predict Heart Attack.

I wish more doctors understood this, though Dr. Davis certainly does.

Anne said...

Thanks for letting us know about the offer.

Judy Mitchell said...

I have the accu-chek aviva meter and (of course am away from home) ever since this morning I have been getting nothing but an E-1 reading. I am using the same botch of test strips that I have been using for the past 3 days (since I traveled away from home). I doubt that the numbers are off but am concerned that I have NOT gotten an accurate reading all day. I am 4 months into my diagnosis so I am still a little hyper about things. Should I go out and buy a new meter or just wait until I return home in the next couple of days? Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated - thank you - Judy

Jenny said...

Judy,

If you are using your meter readings to set insulin doses, you need a new meter. Otherwise, call Accu-chek customer support and tell them about your problem and they should send you a replacement meter or strips if that's the problem.